For those parents who believe that their child should be taking another academic course instead of a music class, in preparation for university, consider this research by Stanford University:
7 REASONS TO STUDY MUSIC
1. Unlike many subjects in which answers are either correct or incorrect, music is based on using sound musical knowledge to make good judgments. There is no single right answer in music, a concept that is not studied in most courses until the university level.
2. Music teaches us that problems can have more than one solution and questions have more than one answer.
3. Music teaches complex problem solving skills. Students learn that results are not fixed but change with circumstances.
4. Music teaches us that small changes can create large effects.
5. Music exercises the mind. Music works with symbols, not words, and uses parts of the mind that exist beyond the limitations of language.
6. Music teaches students to respect and accept all emotions including emotions such as anger and grief that we are often incapable of expressing through language.
7. The higher level skills that are learned through music are transferable to other subjects such as calculus and physics.
If you are wondering how greatly universities value a musical background for prospective students, consider this:
1. Students who study music score higher in all major academic exams such as university entrance exams, SAT scores etc.
2. Universities such as UBC and Brown University look for students who are well-rounded and show interest in subjects other than their academic subjects. Music is their # 1 choice to complement academic marks as it indicates discipline, teamwork, a comprehensive education, and an ability to understand complex higher-level skills.
Instruments are expensive and it is always a good idea to make sure that your child’s instrument is insured through your home insurance. When you rent or purchase an instrument you can purchase instrument insurance that insures against theft, and damage at a very reasonable rate.
Practising – What Every Parent Should Know!
Students in the Moscrop music program are required to practice regularly.
For Junior Musicians (grade 8 and beginner) the MINIMUM time required is 2 hours a week of home practice. For Intermediate and Senior students (grade 9 – 12) the MINIMUM required home practice time is 2.5 hours. Please take the time to ensure that your child is practicing regularly.
Also, please take a look at our student manual – the practicing section. That section outlines everything a student needs to know to make practicing effective and efficient. Please ensure that your child has a MUSIC STAND and a STRAIGHT CHAIR for practicing. Students learn bad habits and slow their progress when they slouch when practicing and when they prop their music on a table at the wrong height.
If you child plays TRUMPET or TROMBONE and it is too loud, consider ordering a practice mute from us. These mutes are fantastic for reducing the volume! Trumpet mutes are $28 and trombone mutes are $32.
VSO Access Passes
Did you know that if YOU want to go to the Vancouver Symphony, your child can sign up for a student access pass (see student section) and when you go with your child, the student pays $10 and you get your ticket for half price!
Instrument Accessories Price
While we hope that most band students will purchase their accessories from music stores, we do carry accessories for those students who have an emergency or whose parents cannot get to a music store. Prices for accessories are as follows:
ACCESSORIES – WOODWINDS
|Alto Sax Swab||$7.00|
|Silk Tenor Sax Swab||$10.00|
|Clarinet Swab – basic||$3.00|
|Clarinet Swab – deluxe||$7.00|
|Laquer Polish cloth||$4.00|
|Silver Polish Cloth||$4.00|
|Deluxe Silver Polish Cloth||$8.00|
|Clarinet/Alto Reed Guard||$4.00|
|Tenor/Bass Clarinet Guard||$5.00|
|Silver/Laquer Polish Cloth||$4.00|
|Deluxe Polish Cloth||$7.00|
|Valve oil – Basic||$2.00|
|Valve oil – Al Class||$6.00|
|Valve oil – T2||$7.00|
|Horn Rotary Valve Oil||$5.00|
|Trombone Slide Cream||$3.00|
|Trombone Spray Bottle||$4.00|
SILENT PRACTICE MUTE